Keyword play an important role in a website’s search engine optimization strategy. Long tail keywords are search terms with relatively low search volume and competition levels. Also, long tail terms tend to be longer in length (3+ words) than most other keyword types.
Search engine optimization is a highly competitive field. It is like a war of keywords. Generally, smaller companies or startups can get frustrated if they focus on popular high ranking keywords. However, their only hope lies in the use of long-tail keywords.
Long-tail keywords have two dimensions. Number one, they have less competition because they are not searched very frequently. Number two, they have a higher conversion rate, i.e., a potential customer is looking for a specific product. If you are selling this product, the potential customer will likely buy it.
Keyword research is the process of searching the keywords that people usually search in their search bar. Keyword research is the foundation of search engine optimization. Keywords determine the ranking of your website on the search engine result page(SERP).
Keyword research is based on the search volumes of different keywords. If a keyword has three or more words, then it is called a long-tail keyword. Long-tail keywords have less search volume; now, this looks counter-intuitive as it suggests that this keyword is searched less often. However, the potential of long-tail keywords lies in its conversion rate. A long-tail keyword brings you more potential buyers rather than visitors.
Long-tail Keyword Research
long-tail keyword research is carried out in different methods. For example,
- You can try entering one word in the Google search bar and see the autocomplete suggestions. For example, enter baby food. Now you will see autocomplete suggestions as baby food for one-year-old, baby food for six months old, baby food chair, etc.
- You can check the ‘People Also Ask’ section.
- Also, look at the “Searches related to” section at the bottom of the search page.
- Keyword research tools for searching long-tail keywords. There are many tools available for search engine optimization using these keywords. For example, SEM Rush, Ahrefs’ Keywords Explorer, Moz Keyword Explorer, Google Keyword Finder, etc.
Here’s an example:
If you are doing search engine optimization and finding long-tail keywords for your products, then here some key pointers.
- Think like your customers. Try to put yourself in your customer’s shoes and think about what language and phrase you will search for if you are looking for the product in question.
- Connect with your customer and ask for suggestions.
- Look into communities like Quora, LinkedIn Groups or Facebook groups to find out what people are talking about.
Long-tail keywords are a great tool to up your search engine optimization game. Long-tail keywords have the potential to increase your sales and help your brand to grow.